Mission: To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.
- Programs & Services
- Disaster Preparedness
- Useful Links
- Contact Us
Meet our Senior Leaders / Stefany Strong - Public Information Officer - Biography
Stefany Strong is a veteran Communications Specialist with over 20 years of experience in television news reporting and media/public relations.
As a child Stefany enjoyed watching television journalists on the daily news and always wanted to be just like them when she grew up. She wrote for the Pimlico Jr. High School and Northwestern High School newspapers to prepare for a career in journalism.
Stefany graduated from Howard University in Washington, DC with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English Literature.
While studying at Howard University, Stefany was one of two Howard University students hired simultaneously as Desk Assistants at ABC News in Washington, DC. She worked with a number of network broadcasting professionals such as Carole Simpson, Max Robinson, Ted Koppel, Charlie Gibson, Mike Silverstein and Barbara Walters.
Her most memorable times at the network included working major events such as the fatal Air Florida flight 90 crash into the 14th Street Bridge in Washington, DC on January 13, 1982, the shooting of President Ronald Reagan, and working with the White House Press Corps under the supervision of ABC News White House Correspondent Carole Simpson.
Ms. Strong left the network to begin her local news reporting career where she worked for a number of television stations.
In January of 2000, Stefany left WOFL FOX 35 to become a Public Information Officer for Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise/Florida Department of Transportation. This public relations position involved writing news releases and providing all media support for the $265 million Seminole Expressway Project 2 in Sanford.
In January of 2002, Stefany accepted the position of Public Information Officer for the Florida Department of Health in Volusia County where she built the department's first public information program.
Stefany also has the following achievements:
- Trained in crisis and risk communications
- Reporter for Community Health Matters TV segment featured weekly on Volusia Magazine (WDSC TV 15)
- Received a Prudential-Davis Productivity Award in 2010. She saved the health department more than half a million dollars during an 8 year period with no cost news coverage in newspapers and broadcast outlets.
- Created Annual Healthy Holiday Food Drive featuring NASCAR's Mike Skinner- Provides 11,000 pounds of food for the Second Harvest Food Bank
- President-elect, Volusia/Flagler Florida Public Relations Association
- Past President, Central Florida Association of Black Journalists
Stefany spends most vacations with family and friends at Disney World. She is also a huge supporter of the Baltimore Orioles. Stefany is originally from Baltimore, Maryland.
Page last updated: 03/21/13