Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMSC) in Florida
Products and Educational Tools
Partnership Grant Activities
EMSC Advisory Committee Members
Florida EMSC Program Highlights
2009 Major Highlights
2008 Major Highlights
- In May, we celebrated Emergency Medical Services (EMS) week and EMSC day by providing 1,000 PIER CDs to the following organizations/agencies: EMS provider agencies, EMS initial
training centers, hospitals with emergency departments, county health departments, county school superintendents, Children's Medical Services clinics,
EMS Advisory Council PIER committee members, EMSC Advisory committee members, and EMS Advisory Council members and constituency group presidents. The
CD highlights examples and materials to start or to add to existing injury prevention programs.
- The EMSC Program conducted two surveys. EMS provider agencies and hospital emergency department medical directors were surveyed regarding:
Survey results will provide baseline data required for performance indicators that document activities and achievements of the EMSC program in improving
the delivery of emergency services to children.
- Pediatric Medical Direction Protocols
- Interfacility Transfer Guidelines & Agreements for Pediatric Patients
- EMSC purchased pediatric medical supplies for prehospital providers to continue to support activities that will improve the capacity of Florida to
deliver effective pediatric emergency care by integrating pediatric issues into the EMS system.
- The EMSC Program, in collaboration with the Office of Public Health Nursing, provided a color coded dosing resource toolkit for special needs
shelters throughout Florida. This toolkit will be used to improve the shelter capabilities for triaging and treating children. The kit contains the
52,000 items of each were purchased to be assembled as kits. An estimated 18,000 kits have been distributed statewide. These kits were funded by
the U. S. Department Health and Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) Hospital Preparedness grant.
- Broselow-Luten Color Coded Oral Syringe and Color Coded Tape for administration of Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen liquids
- Color Coded Armbands
- First Aid for Children Slideguide
- Pack of 4 non-toxic Crayons
- Coloring/Activity Book - It's Cool to be Healthy
- Julie Bacon, our outstanding but humble Committee Chair, was given the EMS Bureau's 2008 Florida EMSC award.
- Several advisory committee members represented EMSC on the following EMS Advisory Council subcommittees to ensure pediatric issues are integrated
into the EMS community.
- EMS Advisory Council Data Committee - Joann DeSerio
- EMS Advisory Council Disaster Committee - Michael Rushing
- EMS Advisory Council Education Committee - Juli Daniels
- EMS Advisory Council Medical Care Committee - Louise Bowen
- EMS Advisory Council PIER Committee - Sandra Nasca
- Representatives of the Florida EMSC program made a great showing at the 2008 National Annual EMSC Grantee meeting, with Sandra Nasca serving on the
planning committee and acting as a session moderator, Lou Romig speaking on resources for pediatric EMS education. Melia Jenkins and Patricia Kenyon
facilitated workshop sessions on fulfilling program objectives.
- EMSC co-sponsored the Prehospital Pediatric Education Symposium, the "Premier Pediatric Emergency Medical Services Conference" held on
November 11-12, in Orlando at the Rosen Plaza Hotel. 106 prehospital and hospital providers registered for the two-day premier conference. The EMSC
Program awarded numerous scholarships statewide to support prehospital excellence in pediatric care. The conference also hosted the only national
roll-out of NAEMT's "hybrid" Emergency Pediatric Care Provider/Instructor course, which was attended by Florida's finest EMS educators.