Inactivated Poliovirus (IPV) Vaccine
January 29, 2012 -- As a result of considerable interest being expressed in the following issues, the Bureau of Immunization would like to provide the following questions and answers (Q&A) to all County Health Departments (CHDs). We hope this information will be useful in implementing the new polio requirement for kindergarten students and completing the Form DH 681, Certificate of Immunization.
*When will the new requirement for the polio (IPV) vaccine series be required for entry into kindergarten?
- Effective for the 2012/2013 school year, the final dose of the IPV vaccine must be administered on or after the student's 4th birthday for entry into kindergarten
- A 5th dose is required if the 4th dose was administered prior to the 4th birthday.
- A 4th dose is not necessary if the 3rd dose was administered on or after the 4th birthday.
- Students in grades 1 through 12 do not have to be recalled if all 4 polio doses were administered prior to 4th birthday. (This requirement applies only to students entering kindergarten, effective for school year 2012/2013.)
- *The effective date for the new IPV requirement is changed to the 2012/2013 school year due to the lengthy delay in finalizing the Rule (Chapter 64D-3.046, Florida Administrative Code) change. Children attending kindergarten roundups for the 2012/2013 school year should have the final dose of their IPV series on or after their 4th birthday.
Updated Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices: Routine Poliovirus Vaccination
August 7, 2009 -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published Updated Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) Regarding Routine Poliovirus Vaccination in the MMWR Weekly, August 7, 2009 / 58(30);829-830.
These updates emphasize the importance of the booster dose at four years of age or greater, extend the minimum interval from dose three to dose four from four weeks to six months, add a precaution for the use of minimum intervals in the first six months of life, and clarify the poliovirus vaccination schedule when specific combination vaccines are used.
The document can be accessed on the internet at www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5830a3.htm?s_cid=mm5830a3_e.