Health and Safety Facts to Ponder
Children ages 5-9 often lack the skills necessary to safely walk to school. The Walking School Bus not only supervises young children,
it teaches them safe walking and biking skills.
There are four times as many overweight children today as there were 25 years ago. Children who join the bus will increase their physical activity and which can lead to improved health.
Only 15% of children walk to school - twice as many walked 25 years ago. The Walking School Bus promotes walking as a fun transportation option.
Safety Tips for Children and Adults:
- Bright colored clothing. Wear bright-colored clothes, and carry flashlights or wear reflective gear if it is dark or hard to see.
- Driveways. Look for traffic at every driveway and intersection.
- Parked cars. Be aware of drivers in parked cars that may be getting ready to move.
- Traffic signs. Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Cross the street safely.
- Stop at the curb or edge of the street
- Look left, right, left and behind you and in front of you for traffic.
- Wait until no traffic is coming and begin crossing.
- Traffic. Keep looking for traffic until you have finished crossing the street.
- Walk. Walk, don't run across the street.