For Initial Licensure
Optician applicants are required to submit proof of completion of the following:
- Two (2) hour initial licensure laws and rules course prior to licensure
- Two (2) hour course relating to prevention of medical errors prior to licensure
Licensed opticians initially licensed within the first year of the biennium must complete 10 hours of approved continuing education (CE) to include the following:
- Five (5) hours must be directly related to the technical practice of opticianry
- One (1) hour of HIV/AIDS education
- Two (2) hours of prevention of medical errors
- Two (2) hours of electives from the first two areas above or subjects relating to business management
Note: A maximum of two and a half (2.5) hours of CE may be from courses without classroom instruction.
Licensed opticians initially licensed within the second year of the biennium (their license expires the same year it was issued) are exempt from the CE requirements for renewal.
For Renewal of License Following Your First Biennium
Licensees must complete 20 hours of approved CE within the two year licensure period (biennium) to include the following:
- Eleven (11) of the hours must be directly related to the technical practice of opticianry. If the license is board certified, four (4) of these hours must be related to contact lens theory and practice.
- Two (2) hours must include the subject of Federal or Florida laws and rules governing the profession
- Two (2) hours must relate to the prevention of medical errors
- Five (5) hours of electives from the first two areas above, HIV/AIDS or subjects relating to business management
Note: A maximum of five (5) hours of CE may be from courses without classroom instruction.
See Rule 64B12-15, FAC to review continuing education guidelines for Board of Opticianry professions.
To view approved CE providers and/or to submit CE credits for free, please visit our CE tracking system’s (CEBroker) website. CE links and information can also be found on our continuing education pages.
|MISSION:||To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.|
|VISION:||To be the Healthiest State in the Nation|
|PURPOSE:||To protect the public and make Florida the healthiest state in the nation through health care licensure, enforcement, and information.|
|FOCUS:||To be the nation's leader in quality health care regulation.|
|VALUES:||I CARE (Innovation, Collaboration, Accountability, Responsiveness, Excellence)|