will require the free Adobe Reader
Electrologists are allowed to perform laser and light-based hair removal only if they have completed the following requirements:
- Completed a 30-hour continuing education course approved by the council pursuant to Rule 64B8-52.004, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.).
- Certified in the use of laser and light-based hair devices for the removal or reduction of hair by a national certification organization approved by the Electrolysis Council and the Board of Medicine, which is the Society of Clinical & Medical Hair Removal, Inc. (SCMHR). **The contact person for the CME exam is Lisa Nelson 608-443-2470.
- Are using only the laser and light-based hair removal or reduction devices upon which they have been trained; and
- Are operating under the direct supervision and responsibility of a physician properly trained in hair removal and licensed pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 458 (physicians), or 459, F.S. (osteopathic physicians). See section 458.348(3), Florida Statutes (Medical Practice Act).
- The supervising physician and the Electrologist shall develop jointly written protocols as described in Rule 64B8-56.002(4), F.A.C., and furnished to the council office prior to beginning the practice of laser hair removal.
- The Electrologist must make sure they are following Rule 64B8-51.006, F.A.C., as it sets forth what is required of a licensed electrology facility where laser and light-based hair removal is performed.
Direct Supervision of Licensed Electrologist Who Are Qualified to Provide Laser and Hair Removal Service:
This statement serves to clarify and dispel any rumors there may be concerning the requirement of the direct supervision of qualified electrologists to perform laser hair removal and reduction. The rule currently requires a physician licensed under Chapter 458 or 459 to provide direct supervision of an Electrologist certified to perform laser hair removal or reduction. This rule has been in place since the rule's creation on September 12, 2001. Approved Laser Providers
Related Statutes and Rules:
- Rule 64B8-52.004, Florida Administrative Code, Requirements for Approval of Continuing Education Courses for Laser and Light-Based Hair Removal or Reduction
- Rule 64B8-51.006, Florida Administrative Code, Rule Governing Licensure and Inspection of Electrology Facilities (see (3)(g))
- Rule 64B8-56.002, Florida Administrative Code, Equipment and Devices; Protocols for Laser and Light-Based Devices
- Section 458.348(3) , Florida Statutes, (Board of Medicine) Formal supervisory relationships, standing orders, and established protocols; notice; standards.
- You can also review statutes and rules on our website at http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/electrolysis/eo_statutes.html
|MISSION:||To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.|
|VISION:||To be the Healthiest State in the Nation|
|PURPOSE:||To protect the public and make Florida the healthiest state in the nation through health care licensure, enforcement, and information.|
|FOCUS:||To be the nation's leader in quality health care regulation.|
|VALUES:||I CARE (Innovation, Collaboration, Accountability, Responsiveness, Excellence)|