Step 1: Complete the following documents:
- Volunteer application (pdf - 29 kb)
- Personal Reference Questionnaire (pdf - 30 kb) (please note: 2 references are needed)
- These applications may be completed in person at the MRC offices at the Volusia County Health Department Offices, 1845 Holsonback Dr., Daytona Beach, FL 32117, or completed and returned by mail.
Step 2: Background Check, orientation and welcome by MRC Coordinator.
- This step is by appointment and will take about 3 hours. (Call 386-274-0692 ext 7527)
- Fingerprinting and background checks are done at no cost to the volunteers.
- Physicians, nurses, dentists, pharmacists and pharmacy techs will be given drug screening. Please bring your current Florida license with you if you are licensed.
- Please bring any appropriate certificates: Basic Life Support, Core Disaster Life Support, ICS certificates, Psychological First Aid, etc.
- This appointment is when you will receive your photo identification badge.
Step 3: Register with the state system and complete three online ICS courses
- State Emergency Responders and Volunteers of Florida - http://www.servfl.com
- Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100 - http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is100.asp
- ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents - http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is200.asp
- NIMS An Introduction - http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is700a.asp
Take the tests and send a copy of the certificates to the MRC Coordinator. If you have already taken this training, just submit the certificates.
Step 4: Welcome to the corps! You are now ready for deployment.
- MRC staff will work with you to place you in a service area that is best suited to your expertise and preference. Consult the calendar and quarterly newsletters for upcoming training, exercises, meetings and possible assignments/ deployments.
All MRC volunteers, whether or not they are licensed health professionals, must undergo a background check before volunteering. This process includes fingerprinting for federal, state, and local background checks and drug testing. The background checks are paid for by Volusia County Health Department.