|HIV/AIDS & Hepatitis Program
The Lee County Health Department is committed to providing quality HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis services to the community. We offer HIV and Hepatitis testing and health education/prevention services. Please check our calendar for more information.
We offer confidential or anonymous testing at each of our clinic sites. Individuals who test positive for HIV are referred for treatment through their private providers. Partner notification and contact investigations are also conducted to identify and treat individuals who may have been exposed. For information on HIV testing, call 239-656-2542, or Florida residents can send their zip codes to “46246” to receive information on the nearest HIV testing center. The service is free, though standard text-messaging fees apply.
||HIV/AIDS Health Education and Prevention
Lee County Health Department’s (LCHD) HIV/AIDS Health Education staff work as part of the STD program. Our staff have been recognized as leaders in education on HIV/AIDS and strive to reach out to the community to encourage the prevention of illness. The HIV/AIDS health educators also raise awareness about HIV/AIDS-related services available in Lee County and help individuals choose and maintain healthier lifestyles. By providing educational services and partnering with community agencies throughout Lee County, LCHD works to reduce the number of new HIV infections.
- Prevention education through community presentations
- Providing HIV/AIDS training to health care professionals (click here for training request)
- Facilitating HIV counseling and testing
- Street outreach to at-risk populations
- Developing age-appropriate HIV/AIDS education course curriculums
- Providing condoms and educational materials to the community (click here for a request form)
- Conducting media relations to ensure release of current HIV/AIDS information
- Providing technical assistance to community-based agencies
- Maintaining a directory of HIV/AIDS services available in Lee County
- HIV Support & Education Group (ICAN). Visit our calendar for more information.
||Hepatitis Prevention Program
The Florida Hepatitis Prevention Program, Florida Department of Health, recommends hepatitis A and hepatitis B vaccines, as well as hepatitis B and C testing, for adults at increased risk for hepatitis infection, or the serious consequences of infection.
The vaccines and laboratory testing are available for Florida residents 18 Years and older, and may be offered at no charge in your area.
To get more information about hepatitis vaccine and testing availability, please contact us.
Our offices are located at:
83 Pondella Road
North Fort Myers, Florida 33903
For more information on our HIV/AIDS program call the HIV/AIDS Health Educator at (239) 656-2542.
For more information on our Hepatitis program, call the Hepatitis Health Educator at (239) 656-2596.
HIV/AIDS CEU’s for professionals in Florida:
Many professions in the State of Florida require that certified staff maintain ongoing HIV/AIDS training and CEU’s. The details on required training hours and CEU’s by profession can also be found here.
For on-line CEU’s and opportunities for HIV/AIDS training go to:
The following are very useful web sites dedicated to providing current and accurate HIV/AIDS information:
- CDC HIV/AIDS - Provides comprehensive HIV/AIDS information on statistics, transmission, treatment, patient care, prevention, research, disease facts, counseling and testing, funding and national conferences.
- National Prevention Information Network (NPIN) - A resource for educational materials including fact sheets, FAQs, brochures, videos, books, reports, posters and various other prevention items.
- AIDSinfo - Up-to-date information on HIV treatments, clinical trials and treatment research.
- CDC Features - Women & Girls HIV Awareness - HIV/AIDS: A Growing Issue for Women and Girls
- We Make The Change - HIV/AIDS - A Florida Department of Health initiative to increase the awareness of HIV/AIDS and its impact in Florida's minority communities.
- Positive or Not - Think you can tell? - Think you can tell if we have HIV? Some of us are HIV positive and some are negative. All of us want to challenge your assumptions about HIV. Play the game and see if you can tell who is Pos or Not.
- Teen Truth - A Florida Department of Health site created to help both teens and parents in dealing with HIV and STDs.