The QI & Clinical Team Coordinates Adult Immunization Efforts
The Florida Immunization Program has established a number of Senior Community Health Nurse (SCHN) positions in selected counties to assist the County Health Departments (CHDs) improve their county-wide influenza and pneumococcal immunization rates. The nurses in the adult immunization positions have the responsibility to assess, plan, coordinate and implement an individualized Adult Immunization Program for their county with the goal to increase influenza and pneumococcal vaccinations. The scope has expanded to include education and public awareness activities concerning other recommended adult vaccines.
The individualized programs form relationships that support planned efforts to increase adult immunizations. Examples of community partners and stakeholders include:
- Private Physician Practices/Groups
- Health Management Organizations (HMOs)
- Senior Mobile Home Parks and Retirement Communities
- Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities
- Home Health Nursing Companies
- Veterans, Civic and Faith-Based Organizations, and Chambers of Commerce
Positioned in one of sixteen counties, these nurses have helped raise the immunization rates in our state in measurable ways.