Let's Get Going!
Complete These Four Easy Steps:
Four easy steps to starting a Walking School Bus are described in the CPPW training booklet.
- Build the Bus - Recruit parent volunteers and walkers, form a team, plan the routes, and set the rules.
See our sample "Build the Bus" forms:
Parent Consent Form, Student Pledge Form, Student Roster, Student Attendance Record
- Train the Drivers - Review proper pedestrian safety guidelines and the walking route.
Check out our Walkability Checklist
- Start Walking - Volunteers, students, and parents increase physical activity.
- Keep it Moving - Make the walk fun.
- All children have a designated bus stop.
- Children join the bus and walk with trained adults.
- All walkers follow proper pedestrian safety.
- The Walking School Bus travels on a designated pathway and arrives to school on time.
- Get to know the bus leader.
- Fill out consent forms.
- Get children to and from the bus stop on time.
- Contact the bus leader if a child is sick or has alternate transportation.
- Reinforce walking safety tips.