The Walking School Bus is Good for the Body and the Brain!
It's a simple concept. The bus can be two families taking turns walking their children to school or a planned route with
meeting points and a rotated schedule of trained volunteers. Walking school buses are an innovative way to include more physical activity
into children's daily routines. Physical activity is good for the mind. A growing
body of research (PDF 6.96 MB) links academic performance to physical activity. Walking to school saves you gas and increases physical activity - Calculate the savings and miles walked here!
"It gets all of us walking more and my children have formed new friendships because of the Walking School Bus. The parents get to know each other too!" says Sue Parker, a parent and Walking leader at Kimbell Elementary School in Tampa, Florida.
- Walking improves energy, concentration, self-esteem, memory, and creativity.
- It gives children a jump start on daily exercise and learning.
- Walking to school creates healthy habits at a young age.
The CPPW Grant:
- Recruited and trained volunteers - See our training booklet! (PDF 3.13 MB)
- Attended partner meetings - Read Jacksonville's proclamation about pedestrian safety. (PDF 2.71 MB)
- Provided information and assistance - See our flyer! (PDF 2.3 MB)
- Uncovered new resources in the community - Look for a newsletter from your local CPPW Coordinator! (PDF 571 KB)
- Provided drafts of district (PDF 4.98kb) and school-level (PDF 4.95kb) model policies as requested